The mission of the Internal Audit office is to provide an independent, objective analysis and consulting services designed to add value and improve the Mississippi Department of Finance and Administration’s operations. It assists the department in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
Scope of Work
The scope of work of the Internal Audit office, within staffing levels, is to determine whether the department’s network of risk management, control and governance processes, as designed and represented by management, is adequate and functioning in a manner to ensure:
- Significant financial, managerial, and operating information is accurate, reliable and timely.
- Resources are acquired economically, used efficiently and protected adequately.
- Programs, plans and objectives are achieved.
- Employees’ actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
- Significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the department are recognized and addressed properly.
The department’s offices bear the responsibility of developing, implementing and maintaining systems and procedures. Internal Audit may recommend controls to improve the department’s office systems and procedures. Internal Audit’s recommendations are not directives, but are suggestions in determining solutions to potential problem areas. Corrective action based on Internal Audit’s findings and recommendations is the responsibility of departmental offices management. Internal Audit must follow up on all of its findings and recommendations until corrected.
You may report waste, mismanagement of assets, property, and all other misappropriations related to the Department of Finance and Administration funds.